Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Two Things!

In all my years of watching the NBA and playing NBA 2K-whatever, I have never been so pumped after the first few weeks of the regular season. To me, it has been a bit of a strange first chapter and as the season plays out, I hope that things become a bit more clear; unlike the NFL, where, apparently, no one is good and everyone is Super Bowl bound.

Here are a few of my astute observations:

1) Yup, I was right, the Lakers are good: At 8-0 they are the NBA's best team and have been fairly convincing while doing it. I realize that the Hornets are currently undefeated as well, but come on, they aren't a team, that's just Chris Paul destroying everyone! The LA offense is already in midseason form. They are currently first in points per game (a staggering 112.1), fourth in rebounds per game (46.1), and eleventh in points allowed (99.6). Keep in mind that the "points allowed" stat contains a lot of garbage time, second-unit minutes.

The big factor I see in this offensive resurgence is Lamar Odom. LO, already in shape and primed due to his World tourney tour, has been extremely efficient. Through eight games, Odom is shooting almost 63% from the field while averaging 15 ppg and 10 rpg. This gives him a strong Player Efficiency Rating of 19.1 as the third option on his team. Lamar moves the ball wall, defends well and rebounds; when you pair him with Pau Gasol, you are looking at, statistically, the top post duo in the NBA.

Oh and Pau Gasol is averaging 24, 11 and 5. Yup.

2) The Heat are...something: I find it interesting that the media is not freaking out now that the Heat have three losses. Well, it's probably good because they get too much coverage anyways, plus there is nothing to freak out about yet. I've heard that "Bosh is a bust," but you really can't buy all that. Personally, I feel that he's getting his ass kicked out there, especially defensively, I mean, Paul Millsap tore him up. Even though I'm not for the Heat winning it all this year and have enjoyed watching teams rise up against them, I'm not even close to saying they have glaring weaknesses.

On the other hand, they have glaring weaknesses. See my last blog.

The big three seem so uncomfortable out there, Wade and James are gelling a little bit, but  Bosh just looks left out and confused. I expect this to be fixed by All-Star Break.
Custom Search